Questionnaires are simply a way to create one template with multiple questions for your candidates to answer. These questions can be used in two ways, either on your job application or emailed to the candidate after applying (for further screening purposes). This template can then be added to a job application or automated email with one click.
This article will cover:
- How to Create a Questionnaire
- How to Organize and Locate Questionnaires
- Add a Questionnaire to a Job Application
- Add a Questionnaire as a Workflow Helper
- Where to Find Questionnaire Results
Sending a questionnaire after a candidate has applied, for example, after a phone screen, will allow you to gather additional, important information to determine if they are qualified enough to interview in-person.
On your job application, we offer a list of common questions already such as Desired Salary, Languages Spoken, Felony Conviction, and others. However, because each company and job has it's own hiring criteria, you can make up your own set of questions. Only one set of custom questions can be applied to a job at once.
How to Create A Questionnaire
You can create multiple templates of your questionnaires that you can then use in the future.
- Click Settings
- This should automatically open to Questionnaires since it is first on the list of Templates
- If it does not open automatically, on the left, under Templates, click Questionnaires
- To create a new questionnaire, click +NEW QUESTIONNAIRE
- In the pop-up window, you must name your questionnaire and then optionally, you can include Instructions for the candidate and which folder you would like to store this questionnaire in
- Click Create Questionnaire to move on to adding your questions, selecting the answer or response type you would like from your candidate, and if this question should be required or not
How to Organize and Locate Questionnaires
There is a folder system available for you to organize all of your templates. Automatically, every questionnaire will be saved under Unfiled Questionnaires. Click +NEW FOLDER to start creating a filing system.
Add a Questionnaire to a Job Application
You can add a questionnaire to your job application to find out if candidates are qualified for your job as well as use Knock-Out Questions to pre-screen candidates.
- When posting a job, click the Application tab (learn how to Post A Job here)
- Scroll down to the Screening Questionnaire section
- Click Select Existing Questionnaire to select your template and have it added to your application
- Or, you can select +Create Questionnaire to create one on the fly
- Confirm you have the correct questionnaire and you like the way your application flows by using the Preview button on the top right corner of this page by switching the preview from No to Yes
Add a Questionnaire as a Workflow Helper
Learn how to send questionnaires as a follow-up email after a candidate has already applied to your job here. Examples: interview follow-up or post-application when your application is short and sweet but you need more information to determine who's the best match.
Where to Find Questionnaire Results
After the candidate completes the questionnaire, it can be viewed by going to:
- Select a candidate
- Profile Tab
- Scroll down until you see the "Job Application" section. Here is where you can see both the canned and custom questions attached. You can also print these questions now!
Can custom questions be required?
Yes, only if it is specified. When creating the question, you will see a checkbox next to "Require an answer to this question". If you check this box, the question will be required for candidates to fill out.
Can I send out a questionnaire to a candidate after they apply?
Yes! You can follow the instructions here.
*Note: You are not able to send a questionnaire to a candidate more than once. If you add additional questions to a questionnaire, you will not be able to send it again. Instead, clone the questionnaire and send the cloned version.
Can I search based on the questionnaire answer?
Yes, head over to the Candidates page and click the magnifying glass. Then click Advanced Search to filter by questionnaire answer.
NOTE: HERO plan customers do not have the ability to add questionnaires as part of the workflow.
Can I be notified when a candidate completes a questionnaire?
The Hiring Manager on the job will receive the following email notification when a candidate in his/her job answers a questionnaire.