Centralize how you assign, track and store feedback on candidates with JazzHR's Interview Guides.
Hosted on a secure URL, Interview Guides are forms that interviewers fill out when completing a candidate interview. They contain core interview-related information—candidate resume, job details, your own custom questions—along with a scratchpad for note-taking.
This article covers:
- Creating Interview Guides
- Adding Interviews Guides to Workflows
- Completing Interview Guides
- Recording Results
- Benefits of Interview Guides
- Click Settings.
- Click Templates.
- Click Interview Guides on the left.
- Click +Create Interview.
- Name the interview, and fill out the following:
- "Type of Interview": Choose "In-Person" or "Phone" interview for tracking, visibility, and reporting.
- "Duration": Select from a range to track the estimated time of the interview and populate the email that goes out to the candidate when scheduling.
- "Preparation Notes": Guide the interviewer on how to conduct this interview. You may, for example, list "Do's" and "Don'ts" or instructions on how to complete the guide.
- Click Add Questions.
- Click +Add Question from the next screen to begin creating the questions you'd like the interviewer to ask.
- Enter questions in the "Question Text" field.
- Consider whether you want a structured guide with a list of specific questions, or you simply an open-ended "feedback form." You may, for example, create a question of "Pros &Cons" or "Feedback" simply with a "Paragraph Text" answer type.
- Select one of the following from the "Answer Type" drop-down for each question:
- "Single Line Text": One sentence freeform - good for one-line responses.
- "Paragraph Text": Longer freeform answers - great for 'open feedback' type guides.
- "Dropdown": One answer from a predetermined list.
- "Number": Numerical answer.
- "Date": Date from a calendar.
- "Checkboxes": One or more answers from a predetermined list.
- Once you've created all of the questions you'd like your interviewer to ask the candidate, click Save Interview.
Automate the interview process by adding a specific workflow stage and attaching an interview guide as a workflow helper. Here's how:
- Click Settings.
- Click Workflows.
- Click on the Workflow in which you want to add the interview/interview guide.
- Click Edit Statuses and +New Stage if you don't yet have a stage to which you'd like to attach an interview guide.
- Once you've created or identified the stage you'd like to add the guide to, click Add and then select Interview from the drop-down.
- Select the preferred Interview Guide template from the list. Note that you can add multiple if you have more than one person interviewing the candidate on this stage.
- Click Add Interview.
Here's how to complete the interview guide once you've scheduled your interview and it's time to meet with the candidate:
- Click Candidates.
- Click the name of the candidate you're interviewing.
- Click the Interviews tab from the Candidate Profile.
- Click the play button next to the interview guide itself.
- Note: You can also get here by clicking the Interview Guide URL you received in your meeting invitation.
- Enter your name and email address.
- Click Start Interview.
Once logged in, the Interview Guide will display and include:
- Button to view the candidate's resume.
- Button to view job details.
- Confidential scratch pad for notes that are only visible to the interviewers.
Type answers in the "Notes.." field below each question to record candidate's answers. You can also. You can also rate each answer by selecting "Poor," "Acceptable", or "Strong" from the drop-down. Note that you can also add new questions as you go by selecting the question type, naming the question, and clicking Add Question.
Once you're done with a question, click Save. Once you have completed all of the questions and are ready to complete the interview, click COMPLETE INTERVIEW.
Once you click Complete Interview, select the following from the next window:
- Click "Passed the Interview" or "Failed the Interview" based on how the candidate did.
- Share feedback with teammates using @mentions. Note that this feedback shows in the Discussion tab.
- Verify the date and time of the interview.
Review your answers, and click Submit Interview. Note that you will receive an email confirmation once your Interview Guide has been submitted, and Hiring Managers will receive email notifications for each guide that's completed.
You can view the completed Interview Guide by clicking the eye icon.
Now that you understand how to use Interview Guides, learn why you should. Here's how Interview Guides can take your interviews from painful to powerful:
- Centralized Information - Interviews Guide create a one-stop shop for all the information needed for conducting an interview. This includes links to the candidate’s contact information and resume and a link to the job details. The Interview Guide also has your customized interview questions and areas to provide answers and feedback.
Streamlined Questions - When creating an Interview Guide, you choose the questions that will be asked. This creates an easy-to-follow script for the interviewer and makes sure you get the right questions answered. There's plenty of room for detailed answers, and each answer must be completed to finish. This ensures that no matter who is conducting the interview, the questions are thorough and consistent.
- Tracking - When Interview Guides are integrated into the job workflow, they can be tracked right inside the Candidate Profile. Here, a straight-forward Pass/Fail designations from the interviewer will give you a fast and easy way to see how a Candidate performed. You'll also find links to all of the dirty details: every answer to every question, for every interview completed.
Anyone, Anywhere - Want to bring the C-suite into the conversation? Invite them to conduct an interview, no log-in needed. Interviews can be conducted by anyone, anywhere, all without needing to have an account with JazzHR. Interview Guide links provide a simple way to get everyone involved, while still keeping important details inside of JazzHR
Is there a way to print out completed Interview Guides?
No, there currently is not a way to print out a completed interview guide. You can, however, copy and paste the answers out of JazzHR into a Word or Google Doc and print from there.
Can I delete Interview Guides?
An Interview Guide template can be deleted so long as it has not been used and completed for a candidate. Interview Guide templates that have been completed by a candidate are tied to the candidate profile and cannot be deleted. If you want to discontinue the use of an Interview Guide, the best bet is to rename it something that discourages use. ex: "Do not use."
Can I delete certain questions in an Interview Guide?
Similar to the question above, questions that have been used and completed for a candidate cannot be deleted. They are tied to the candidate's profile. You can rename and move questions within the interview guide regardless of whether they have been used for a candidate.